On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 11:40 +0000, Rachel Willmer wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Unfortunately the egg gives me the same problems as when I attempt an
> install from the tarball.
>
> Any RHEL users out there encountered this problem and fixed it?

Whilst I use similar vintage RHEL boxes with at least one client, I
don't use MySQL on them, so this hasn't been an issue for me.

However, there's a larger issue at play here and, if you've got support
for RHEL, you should consider bringing it up with Red Hat: the reason
Django does not allow 1.2.1 prior to p2 is that it has a very serious
threading bug that causes crashes. Django managed to hit that bug and
there are details in our Trac if you, or somebody looking at that,
wanted to spend time searching amongst older closed tickets. *Nothing*
should be using it unless the mysql-python package been specifically
patched to work around that. You should check to see if it has been
patched by the vendor (RH) to avoid that problem. In an unpatched state,
it's simply a broken package containing a showstopper bug.

If it has been patched you *might* be able to just remove the version
check in the mysql backend of Django and things might just work (run
Django's test suite to check). To maintain version compatibility, Red
Hat often don't change the reported version number when they do
backpatch a package, which isn't unreasonable, but it does mean
something doing version checking (which is the most practical solution
for the other 97%) is going to raise a false negative. It's been a while
since I dived into the internals, but, from memory, 1.2.1 was more or
less identical, internally, as far as the API went, to 1.2.1p2 and we
don't do anything beyond using the public API.

Aside from that, you're just in the "normal" situation here with
long-lifetime, stable systems. Software that is younger than the
packaging date of your system version sometimes depends on more recent
versions, which themselves depend on more recent versions, etc. Django
does a pretty good job of being flexible and accommodating with respect
to maintaining older support, and even we have to draw the line
somewhere (we spent 18 months, and a lot of care, phasing out support
for MySQL-python < 1.2.1p2, in order not to disrupt too many
situations). A lot of other releases aren't willing, or possibly able,
to be that gentle.

Finally, it's not clear what you meant when you wrote "other file
versioning problems". If you can get the wrapper to compile (it should
only need the mysql-client libraries to build against and anything back
to late MySQL 3.x works with mysql-python, again, from memory), then you
can install it locally somewhere and set your Python path to pick up
your local copy before the system one. It sounds like you're trying to
upgrade the system-installed rpm, which is usually not a great idea on a
system like that (not just because it usually invalidates support
contracts, but because it makes future maintenance harder). Local
installs are preferred.

Regards,
Malcolm