Say I create a form that reflects the current state of an object.  The
user can edit that form, and when they click 'save', I get back the
new, possibly edited, values via the POST.  In my POST code I do
something like this:

postDict = request.POST.copy()
bookForm = BookForm(postDict, instance=bookObj)
if bookForm.is_valid()
  bookForm.save()

What do folks typically do to avoid saving the data if nothing has
been modified in the form?  Is there any django functionality for
doing this, or do I just write the manual check that compares the
fields in the form to the fields in the existing object?

I'm not only concerned with the database access.  In addition to
avoiding the save, I'd like to emit a message to the user that
reflects what they've done, or not done.  IE, "book foo updated' or
"book foo unchanged".

Anyway, just curious if others have encountered this.

Margie