On Feb 25, 3:33 pm, Horst Gutmann <ze...@zerokspot.com> wrote:
> Or you could leave the versioning to dedicated tools like bzr and git
> and use django-rcsfield :-)
>
> http://code.google.com/p/django-rcsfield/

I'm not sure what you gain from using a VCS for storing versions?
They're designed for a pretty different use-case than supporting a web
application. You'll lose transactional integrity. Performance of many
operations will be sluggish (which is why tools like Fisheye copy much
of data into a relational database so that it can take advantage of
indexes and data views cached for performance). And I'm not sure, but
since DVCS is designed such that each user has their own copy of the
repo, how well do they handle concurrent operations?

If you have a hook to intercept the save, won't this conflict with
creating a new revision when attempting to revert to a previous
revision? I would just use a separate Model for storing revisions.
Something along the lines of this project looks pretty good:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-reversion/