Hi Terry,

No one ever proposed an open-ended user access to DNS or APIs that access the backend, server side files. No, thats a clear security threat. As a design rule of SE thumb, you MUST never give normal and/or unregulated users access to system level operations. That is typically reserved for system operators and administrators, "gods" of the system. A compromised system, an inside job, bad guy got in, would be the #1 security threat as it always is for anything else.

When it comes to hosting, a customer with one domain has the same SMTP and mail hosting functional and technical operational needs and requirements that a customer with a million domains. If you have a problem, its a bug whether its small, mid, large and operate privately, publicly or mixed with its domains. That is how I've designed hosting products that is for all customer types.

For this application need, how one registers domains is entirely up to the domain including not registering at all as a corporate policy. Thats a product feature. It SHOULD also be a product feature that domains MAY register resigner domains in DNS for the purpose of performing domain authorization queries.

Either way, its a feature to have for those who can do it and many customers will have the ability to handle their delegation of resigners using DNS. If one of your domains has a tougher problem with it, then you can't do it, period. That is why microsoft.com has an SPF hardfail but the other microsoft property public service domains do not.

Let me ask you this, if you implement the conditional @fs method for your MLM,, are you going to honor the restrictive policies of incoming domains, those who will not want to have resigners of any kind and will not use the conditional @fs method themselves (no need)? Will you honor this rejection policies at the MLM, and in reality, across all Microsoft domains receivers?

--
HLS