On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 9:31 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 2, 2022 10:49:03 PM EDT John Levine wrote:
> > It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
> > >Somewhat later than I had hoped, I've taken a shot at this.  Please see
> the
> > >attached proposed update from dmarcbis-06 and rfcdiff.
> >
> > Closer but of course, not quite right.
> >
> > >2.  In the policy discovery section I added a few sentences on which
> policy
> > >to use once the policy record is identified.  This doesn't change
> anything
> > >relative to what's currently defined, but it seems to me that if we are
> > >going to have a discussion of policy discovery we should take it all the
> > >way to determining the poilcy and not stop at the determination of the
> > >record to use to determine the policy.
> >
> > It still gets the wrong answer for psd=n above psd=y.
> >
> > I think it needs to say you walk up. At each step if you find psd=n,
> > that is the org domain and you stop. If you find psd=y, that is the
> > PSD, the org is the name beneath it, and you stop. (If the one beneath
> > it has no DMARC record, is it still the org domain? I think it is.)
> >
> > If you get to the top and there was no record with psd=y or psd=n, the
> > org is the highest DMARC record you found.
> >
> > This means if you find psd=n or psd=y you stop, if you find psd=u keep
> > going.
>
> I think the attached addresses this.  I also tried to make it clear that
> if
> there's only one domain (common 5322.From, 5321.MailFrom, and d=), then no
> tree walk is needed.
>
> The diff is relative the last text I posted.

Thank you, Scott.

I will wait a day or two to allow further discussion to continue before
publishing a new rev.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.