On Oct 7 2009, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

[...]
At 4:09 PM -0400 10/6/09, Nicholas Weaver wrote:
Eric Rescorla has an explanation why the zone signing key rollover mechanism in DNSSEC for the root is a bad idea: It doesn't improve security and only makes things more complicated:

http://www.educatedguesswork.org/2009/10/on_the_security_of_zsk_rollove.html
[...]

Really this is an DNSOP issues, more specifically an issue for RFC4641bis.

[I've added dnsop, please remove namedroppers when replying to this note]

Well, OK. This is arguably off-topic for both lists, but I was struck
by Eric quoting from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_Security_Extensions

| First, there are Key Signing Keys (KSK) which are used to sign
| other DNSKEY records and the DS records.

I wonder what gave them the idea that DS records were signed with
KSKs rather than (the parent's) ZSKs?

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: c...@ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,