Nicholas Weaver wrote:

> Note:  The following is manually formatted because

because you choose not to use a feature of modern mail
composers?

>> As for subtlety, what if, the information is cached and stale?
>
> Good point, but there are easy solutions:

You are still missing the subtlety.

> a:  Do you honestly expect these queries to be common enough
> to be cached?

That's no solution.

> b:  These should have a TTL of 0 seconds and/or support a
> prepended, cache-busting wildcard.

Loss of synchronization can occur between cached normal data
and uncached identification data. And, as I already mentioned
what is broken may be the caching server.

>> OTOH, identification by ICMP is up to date save RTT.
>
> How can one generate an ICMP on the path from the resolver's
> outbound interface to  to the authority, and receive the
> response, without access to the resolver?

Ask one's resolver operator to do so. He will investigate
what's wrong and may contact an anycast server operator
if he think there is a real problem for which his resolver
is not responsible.

As Paul Vixie can not accept all the reports from all the end
users, aggregation through resolver operator path is the way
for scalable operation.

>> I skipped to read rest of your mail, because you have not learned
>> to wrap lines properly.
>
> Your inability to use a modern mail client is NOT MY PROBLEM!

> That your mail reader can't word wrap properly on
> received messages is not my problem.

See my first lines of this mail.

> Word wrapping MUST be done on the recipient side,
> not on the sender side, unless you want to maintain
> ridiculous conventions like "text lines are at most 72
> characters, monospaced" which were obsolete two
> decades ago.

72 (actually 80 or 132, but we should be conservative)
characters is based on ergonomics of key board size
and legible character size, which have had and will have
longer history than Apple.

See this thread in IETF ML this February for further enlightment:

https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=48&gid=0&k1=933&k3=9861&tid=1317368971

> Apple on their mailer for the longest time implemented
> a standard method, format=flowed, intended to please
> BOTH mail readers that can word-wrap and mail readers
> that can't.  But they dropped this way back in 10.6.2,

That you don't accept that reality is your problem.

> As an addition, your headers suggest you are using
> Thunderbird.  I checked Thunderbird 6 on OS-X this morning,
> it word wraps unstructured text flawlessly.  Please ensure
> that you haven't mistakenly turned on a mis-formatting
> "feature".

I use my mail readers with my own configuration both for
English and Japanese (where ASCII space characters are
basically not used) mails.

                                        Masataka Ohta