On 25 Jan 2018, at 7:36, Warren Kumari wrote:

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
Isn't this going to cause problems with software that checks hostname
syntax?

Yes. However, that software will only be on the authoritative server side, yes? If you're a researcher who wants to run a sentinel test, you can use authoritative server software that doesn't block that. For example, I'm pretty sure Geoff's software either does not block that or could be tweaked easily to not block.

Wouldn't it be better to use something like a double hyphen to avoid
collisions?

Possibly, or using CNAMES. I (personally) liked the underscores as it
separated this from the rest of the namespace, but the double hyphen
also sounds like an interesting idea.
What does the WG think?

Sentinel would be the first example of label-based special cases in resolver software. The special-case labels can be anything that would not ordinarily appear at the left. Using dcyen28c5wxcf95fcsxceexwwe1z-ta-12345.example.com works just as well, and would probably cause fewer implementers to make bad assumptions about the future. Underscores are already used for preventing those assumptions, but any unused string works.

--Paul Hoffman