*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

For those who are confused about why I sent along the Bush item -
please note the subject line of the post I wrote:

    Bush E-mail Goal 2 Million

Sometimes I have time to add a bit of analysis, sometimes I just
throw interesting items out there.  This list is not an advocacy
platform (except for "e-democracy"), I try to pass stuff on that
seems leading, significant or unique.

The big deal about the Bush post is that it has a numeric goal.
Imagine what might happen if Bush, Gore, Nader, Buchanan, Browne,
Hagelin, Phillips, Lane, Rogers, Dodge, McReynolds, Moorehead
<http://www.politics1.com/p2000.htm> all had 2 million e-mail
addresses on their announcement lists and used them effectively to
inform, motivate, and activate their supporters.

Do the other campaigns have numeric e-mail list goals?  Will they
share them with the public?  Will Bush give us an update on their
list size? This is the big lesson from the JesseNet experience in
1998 - maximize the size of your supporter e-mail list.  All told I
think the e-lists are ten times more valuable than the web sites.  It
is great to see a candidate create a motivating goal.

Speaking of Gore, I have been monitoring their extensive and diverse
use of the Internet.  I am watching their Instant Messaging
experiment <http://www.algore.com/im/im_form.php> with great interest
- could be great, could be a bust?  Also, Gore collected state and
zip code information with e-mail addresses from the beginning.  I am
now receiving locally well produced Gore campaign Minnesota updates.
Below is a recent Gore post, check out their "10 ways you can get
involved and make a difference in Campaign 2000" to get a sense of
how big a role the Internet is playing in their organizing strategy.

Cheers,

Steven Clift
Democracies Online