*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

FirstGov.Gov, hooray:
http://firstgov.gov

Hopefully this will help set off a flurry of state-by-state public
portals.  The fact that the top state & local link takes you to a non-
governmental page, <http://www.piperinfo.com/state/index.cfm> run by
a fellow Minnesotan Dana Noonan (an excellent directory I might add),
shows that a major campaign supporting state and local "public
portal" development and involvement is needed.  Now that the Feds
have at gotten their own house in order (i.e. one primary portal
instead of a confusing array of multiple starting points) it is time
for a national efforts to make government at all levels more
accessible online.

FirstGov should develop a Netscape Open Directory style indexing
effort <http://www.egroups.com/message/do-wire/618> that would allow
every government unit in the United States to edit various directory
sections in a highly distributed format.  The directory information
should then be syndicated so for example local government could add a
FirstGov column to their own local web site.  In 1994 or 1995 the
post office made giant mistake when they put themselves atop to the
pyramid with their government web directory project, if the Federal
government wants to inspire a true American-style "of, for and by the
people" effort FirstGov needs to position itself such that state and
local government web sites can position themselves as the main
government interface to their citizens with FirstGov features fully
integrated.  To generate state and local involvement, which I feel is
essential for an effort like this to succeed, it must serve the
citizens from the realization that the public does not distinguish
different levels of government from one another - they just want good
service.  Put another way if we want government (things legally
public) to be viewed as a legitimate in the information age, we have
to use the Internet in ways that serve the citizens not the
institutional hierarchies expectations.

More below.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

Some insider stuff:
http://cio.gov/egov/cio_egov_firstgov.htm

The announcement:
http://cio.gov/egov/projects/firstgov/clinton_announcement.htm

PRESIDENT WILLIAM J. CLINTON

WEBCAST REMARKS ON FIRSTGOV.GOV

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON, DC

September 21, 2000

Good afternoon. We Americans are living at a truly exciting time in
history. Computers and the Internet are revolutionizing
the way we work, live, and relate to each other and the world. They
also have the potential to fundamentally transform and
improve the way government serves the American people, and today I
want to talk about a major step we are taking towards
that goal.

When I became President, there were only 50 websites on the entire
World Wide Web. Today, there are 17 million. Under the
leadership of Vice President Gore, we've made great progress bringing
government into the digital age. Instead of waiting
in line, citizens can go on- line--to file their taxes, compare their
Medicare options, and find good jobs. They can tap
into the latest health research, change their address at the Post
Office, and follow along with NASA's missions in outer
space. And they can do it 24 hours a day, seven days a week. But with
27 million web pages of government information now on
line, and more added every day, finding the information or service
you need can be frustrating. That's why I'm pleased to
announce that today we are launching a new, one-stop-website for
federal on-line information: firstgov.gov. It allows you,
for the first time, to link to the federal information or service
you're looking for, without having to know the name of
the agency or program that offers it. Go to www.firstgov.gov, and
you're just a few mouse clicks away from web sites where
you can apply for student loans or reserve a campground in a national
park.

Now, when I first announced in June that we would be creating

firstgov.gov, I promised we would do it in 90 days. That was exactly
90 days ago. I'm proud of the federal employees who
made this happen in Internet time. And I'm thankful to Dr. Eric
Brewer of Inktomi. He's the entrepreneur who, with the help
of federal grants, created one of the private sector's most
successful search engine technologies. Out of gratitude and
patriotism, he developed and donated the search engine for Firstgov.
Now, this website belongs to the American people.
We've included a place for you to suggest improvements, and we're
going to keep working on this site, and on all of our
government websites.

Firstgov symbolizes, I think, the kind of government we need in the
21st Century. One that empowers citizens to make the
most of their own lives. At the dawn of our republic, Thomas
Jefferson said "America's institutions must move forward hand
in hand with the progress of the human mind. Well, today, as the
progress of the human mind races ahead, it's vital that we
make sure our democratic institutions keep pace. And if we do, we can
create a more perfect, more responsive democracy for
the Information Age.

Thanks for logging on.

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***