One of my priority meeting themes is "Internet-enabling
representative democracy."

I invite anyone interested in this theme to RSVP for the public
discussion below. Drop me a note if you would like to try and meet
outside of the NCL conference this week or the public event below.
-- Steven Clift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Democracies Online

The Internet in Power - Networked Governance or Virtual Disconnect?
Informal Roundtable Discussion
12:30 - 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2000
Brown Bag Lunch - Bring your own lunch
Conference Room, Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 I St., NW, Washington DC 20006
(On the Corner of 17th and I Sts.)

Facilitated by Steven Clift <http://publicus.net>, Democracies Online
*Space is limited.  Please RSVP by Monday, Nov. 13 to Danielle Kolb
at CDT via e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or call 202-637-9800.

The Internet in power.  The most innovative and creative use of the
Internet in elections and politics seem born of necessity.  Questions
for this informal roundtable discussion include:

  -- What from the 'best of' candidate, party, election advocacy, and
     election information and news web sites should be integrated
     into the use of the Internet in governance?

  -- Now that you have won (or lost) can we use innovative online
     strategies and tools to help govern (or to at least serve as an
     effective opposition)?  Just as candidates used these tools to
     get closer to the citizen and gain their vote and support, how
     might we use these tools to provide better service,
     accountability and openness in governance?

  -- How do we build the motivation and incentives to Internet-enable
     representative democracy with web sites as good or better than
     those used to gain power?  How should our lessons and experience
     infuse the official online efforts of representative
     institutions from Congress to local mayor offices?

  -- For those involved with .com and .org election information and
     news sites, how can our energy and methods be adapted to post-
     election opportunities?

Thank you to the Center for Democracy and Technology for hosting this
discussion.  Questions about the content of the roundtable should be
sent to Steven Clift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and Ari Schwartz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

*** Special Online Discussion ***

Those who can't make this event are welcome to join Democracies
Online's Campaign 2000 and the Internet discussion event
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> that runs from Nov. 8 - 30.
More information: http://www.egroups.com/group/do-campnet

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***