Change conference Mike Cornfield <http://democracyonline.org> speculated -
were the online results from the State of Florida the timely cause of
Gore's concession pull back?  Let's find out.

Here is the full invite.  Please RSVP per the note below.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

      The Internet in Power - Networked Governance or Virtual Disconnect?
      Informal Roundtable Discussion
      12:30 - 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 15, 2000
      Brown Bag Lunch - Bring your own lunch
      Conference Room, Center for Democracy and Technology
      1634 I St., NW, Washington DC 20006
      (On the Corner of 17th and I Sts.)

      Facilitated by Steven Clift <http://publicus.net>, Democracies
Online
      *Space is limited.  Please RSVP by Monday, Nov. 13 to Danielle Kolb
      at CDT via e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or call 202-637-9800.

      The Internet in power.  The most innovative and creative use of the
      Internet in elections and politics seem born of
necessity.  Questions
      for this informal roundtable discussion include:

        -- What from the 'best of' candidate, party, election advocacy,
and
           election information and news web sites should be integrated
           into the use of the Internet in governance?

        -- Now that you have won (or lost) can we use innovative online
           strategies and tools to help govern (or to at least serve as an
           effective opposition)?  Just as candidates used these tools to
           get closer to the citizen and gain their vote and support, how
           might we use these tools to provide better service,
           accountability and openness in governance?

        -- How do we build the motivation and incentives to
Internet-enable
           representative democracy with web sites as good or better than
           those used to gain power?  How should our lessons and
experience
           infuse the official online efforts of representative
           institutions from Congress to local mayor offices?

        -- For those involved with .com and .org election information and
           news sites, how can our energy and methods be adapted to post-
           election opportunities?

      Thank you to the Center for Democracy and Technology for hosting
this
      discussion.  Questions about the content of the roundtable should be
      sent to Steven Clift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and Ari Schwartz
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

      *** Special Online Discussion ***

      Those who can't make this event are welcome to join Democracies
      Online's Campaign 2000 and the Internet discussion event
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> that runs from Nov. 8 - 30.
      More information: http://www.egroups.com/group/do-campnet

      ^               ^               ^                ^
      Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
      Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
      USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***