From:                   Richard Ponzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                UNDP Human Development Report 2001

Dear Democracies Online participants,

The Human Development Report for 2001 will be on the theme of
"channeling technology for human progress", and we are currently in the
process of preparing a section on e-democracy.  In this regard, we are
searching for examples of "good practices" in the use of ICT for promoting
greater accountability/transparency and extending participation in
government decision-making to new groups in civil society (ie, expanding
the use of ICT as a tool for political empowerment).  Although we would be
happy to receive examples from Western industrialized countries, we are
particularly interested in highlighting good practices in the developing
world.  Evidence of a particular initiative's progress toward a certain
outcome would also be very much welcomed and appreciated.

The UN Development Programme’s global Human Development Report series
(please visit: http://www.undp.org/hdro/ ) advocates a shift in the
development debate from a sole concern with economic growth (which is only
a means—although a very important one—to serve human ends) toward a
balanced concern for equity, sustainability, productivity and empowerment.
 With a circulation of over 120,000 annually in 13 languages, the HDR has
provoked greater public dialogue on the many dimensions of human poverty
and inequality, women’s rights and political freedom, and the
repercussions of globalization.

Thanks for any examples and/or suggestions and contacts you may be able to
share.

Richard Ponzio
UNDP Human Development Report Office

Please Reply to Richard Ponzio directly at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***