*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

From:                   Joiwind Williams Ronen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                FW: just released...e-Government: The Next American Revolution
Date sent:              Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:20:18 -0500

> [...]
> federal chief information officer. *  Appoint people to top executive
> branch positions who will commit themselves to the strategic
> development of e-government in their departments and agencies.
>

> Steps like these carry equal promise for state, local, and tribal
> governments, the plan states, urging them to collaborate closely
> with the federal government and one another in the pursuit of
> e-government.  As other leadership moves, the plan recommends
>
> *     That the Congress set up an office of e-government.  Among other
> purposes, this would respond to a Hart/Teeter finding that about 75
> percent of Americans think e-government will improve their ability
> to connect with elected representatives. *    That judiciary systems at
> all levels use information technology to fully open their
> deliberations, calendars, and decisions to the public. *      At the
> international level, that the public/private council lead the way in
> strengthening relationships and cooperation with other countries
> that are moving toward e-government.   Because e-government at this
> scale needs sufficient, carefully applied investment, the plan
> recommends that the Congress appropriate $3 billion over five years
> for an e-government strategic investment fund--an amount similar to
> that used to tackle the federal government’s Y2K challenges. It
> represents added spending at an average rate of 1.5 percent a year.
>
> On other key issues, the blueprint advances proposals for broad
> public/private collaboration to reach full e-government; a skilled
> workforce to implement it; innovative solutions to questions of
> privacy and security; and public access and education.
>
> The authors of this plan believe that the full e-government they
> advocate “can provide real-not theoretical-answers” to the
> e-government challenge, the blueprint says.  At the same time, “we
> don’t pretend that translating those answers into reality will be
> simple or quick.  The blueprint is not a detailed road map.”  The
> plan notes promising signs of information technology already in
> action in government, concluding:
>
>  “This is one of those exciting moments in time when leaders are
> challenged to act, with imagination and determination, to achieve
> the quantum leaps that electronic government makes possible.   The
> people are ready.  We can do this, together.”
>
> Nonpartisan, nonprofit, and national in scope, the Council works to
> improve the performance of government at all levels and government’s
> place in the lives and esteem of American citizens. Council programs
> address two primary goals.  The first is strong public-sector
> leadership and management, driven by innovation and focused on
> results.  Second is increased citizen confidence and participation
> in government and governance, achieved through better understanding
> of government and its role.
>
> The blueprint and the full news conference - webcast live by FedNet

I would be delighted to talk with you about this report and to get
your ideas of next steps.  If you have any questions about the
e-government blueprint and initiative you may also contact Joiwind
Ronen.  We can be reached by telephone at 202-728-0418 or by email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely,

Pat McGinnis
President & CEO, Council for Excellence in Government
> [...]
> between levels of government as well. Initiatives such as that
> undertaken by the Council for Excellence in Government help move
> e-government in this direction.”
>
> Louis V. Gerstner, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
> International Business Machines Corporation “We've moved past the
> period of rampant hype and confusion surrounding the rise of a truly
> networked world. One strong indicator is that, just as in the
> private sector, governments are now moving to embrace e-business
> applications and doing the important work of integrating the
> technology into their structures and processes. This integration is
> going to bring immense efficiencies as well as huge benefits to
> individual citizens and society at large. The blueprint,
> E-Government: The Next American Revolution, will speed this process
> and help bring governments into the 21st century. I congratulate The
> Council for Excellence in Government for its leadership in this
> effort.”
>
> Scott Harshbarger, President, Common Cause “E-government holds the
> promise of making government more accountable to its citizens. I
> applaud the Council for Excellence in Government for leading this
> effort to bring government closer to the American public through
> technology.”
>
> Sharon Dawes, Director, University at Albany/SUNY, Center for
> Technology in Government “E-government goals are focused on the
> future of our whole society. We're aiming for convenient services,
> easy communications, and suitable security from our town halls and
> state capitals, as well as from Washington. To reach these goals, we
> need leadership, commitment, and investment in every part of our
> system and every level of government.  The inclusiveness of the
> Council's' E-government Initiative moves us all in this direction.”
>
> Representative Tom Davis (R-VA) “E-government offers the potential
> to reinvent the way citizens and businesses interact with the
> government. In a nutshell, E-government, done right, should mean
> better government, at a lower cost to taxpayers. We can't understate
> the importance of moving in the direction of e-government, and this
> document from the Council for Excellence in Government is an
> important step toward that goal.”
>
> Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) “The Internet offers us a unique
> opportunity to allow the American people to have everyday access to
> public information. Initiatives like this harness the power of the
> information age to help open up our government to everyone.”
> Patrick Gross, Chairman of the Executive Committee and Co-founder,
> American Management Systems; Co-chair, Intergovernmental Technology
> Leadership Consortium  “E-government is revolutionizing the
> relationship between business, government, and citizens-stimulating
> economic growth and providing dramatically improved services to
> constituents nationwide. The Council deserves enormous credit for

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***