*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***
*** New!  Discuss Posts - http://e-democracy.org/do/discuss.html ***

Comments at the end ...

The UK's National Audit Office recently released their "Government on the
Web II" report <http://www.nao.gov.uk/pn/01-02/0102764.htm>.  Further, the
more academic site <http://www.governmentontheweb.org> offers copies of
the same report and a number of additional supporting articles.

Here are some direct links:

"The UK's National Audit Office (NAO) commissioned us to produce this
report, which surveys progress in implementing e-government in central and
local government in the UK."
     http://www.governmentontheweb.org/access_reports.asp

"This report gives the detailed evidence from censuses of central and
local government Web sites to back up the Government on the Web II
report."
     http://www.governmentontheweb.org/access_reports_deloitte.asp

"Our research team has produced a range of academic papers and conference
presentations on the emerging issues of e-government and how we develop
our theoretical and empirical understanding of these issues."
     http://www.governmentontheweb.org/access_papers.asp

Including academic papers on ...
'Cultural Barriers to E-Government'
'Policy Learning and Public Sector Information Technology: Contractual and
E-Government Changes in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand'
'The Advent of Digital Government: Public Bureaucracy and the State in the
Internet Age'
'The Advent of a Digital State and Government-Business Relations'

>From the Executive Summary, this really stood out to me:

7. ... In a census of local Web sites undertaken for this study in
November 2001 the average local authority in England was found to be
delivering just over a quarter of the basic
features and facilities which are readily achievable on-line at the
present time, with county councils the best performing group. Provision of
information for citizens was patchy but links to other organisations were
poor. However, some transactional features are spreading, reflecting the
emphasis of existing government policy. We conclude that, DTLR's
performance indicators cannot clearly measure improvements in the
electronic availability of local authority services, or assure their take
up or value for money.

The types of things they surveyed are listed here:
http://www.governmentontheweb.org/downloads/derloitte/Final_Draft_Survey_Document_240402.pdf
(What government "e-democracy" indicators would you add to such a survey?
They had a number of good ones.)

Comments:

If you combine the fact that the average UK local government site only has
one quarter of the features of the leading UK local governments/what's
currently possible with some analysis from Sweden (and my own experience)
about local "champions" being the main predictor of excellence in local
e-government web sites (the report is in Swedish and I don't if it is
online, but I am told this is what a study by a local government employees
union found) ... then the challenge to deliver on e-government lies in the
ability to identify, support, and resource "champions" within government
who can both see and deliver on the promise of e-government.  If an
empowered champion doesn't exist within your local government, make sure
they hire one or inspire one who can knock the bueacratic silos around
enough to present the citizens with a useful and responsive web site.  I
am skeptical of those who think you can make e-government or e-democracy
in government work well without one or more people who are willing to go
above the call of duty and break through existing work culture.
E-Government, particularly portal design and frequently updated
cross-government content, is too new a thing to implement without major
political leadership and cover for those in the trenches working to make
their public services truly world-class.

Finally, while the UK e-government has a long way to go to measure their
e-government progress,  I am extremely envious of the UK and their numeric
goals for e-government. I wish my Governor Jesse Ventura would do a
"Blair" and set some e-government goals to which his administration can be
held accountable.  Having a real political stake in the progress of
e-government is essential if you want to enable real progress - without
competition government web sites will not improve unless they develop
their own citizen demand functions.  Citizen demand functions will not be
build without political and management pressure.

Further, I caution the easy course of media action and academic analysis
that claims failure simply because high goals haven't been reached.
Instead, look around and compare what the UK citizens are getting compared
to other places.  On the money front, however, clearly some sort of
cost/benefit analysis is required.  My sense is that most of the savings
are difficult to quantify time-saving costs for citizens.  Future
government resources not spent on A,B,C processes because of e-government
will easily shift to X,Y,Z backlogs and never be recaptured in any
measurable way.

Remember that you can share your comments on this and other posts at:
http://slashdemocracy.org/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=15

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***