*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***
*** New!  Discuss Posts - http://e-democracy.org/do/discuss.html ***

For all those Jesse Ventura buffs on DO-WIRE, I thought I'd let you know
that he announced that he is not running for re-election for Minnesota
Governor.  Jesse for President?  Watch for the media hype as they try to
make things interesting.

Our Governor candidates so far don't have much that is too exciting on the
web: http://www.e-democracy.org/2002/governor.html

But the Senate race (considered the top race that will likely determine
the balance of power in the U.S. Senate is humming online):
http://www.e-democracy.org/2002/senate.html

Republican challenger Norm Coleman <http://www.colemanforsenate.com/> was
aggressive early with the collection of e-mail for their e-mail
announcement list, but have used it more lightly than I would have
expected.  Incumbent Democrat Paul Wellstone <http://www.wellstone.org>
known for his grass roots campaigning (in 1990 in particular) has one of
the best volunteer sign-up systems I have seen to date and is updating
content almost daily.

My prediction - the U.S. Senate race in Minnesota will be the race to
watch in terms of the use of the Internet and the outcome of the election.
Why?  Minnesota has the highest voter turn-out in the country and it has
the highest percentage of people online in the lower 48 at 63.5% (Alaska
has 68%, Sweden with highest percentage of online citizens is at 65%). I
believe that the Internet is used in everyday politics, community, and
civic life in Minnesota _more deeply_ than just about anywhere in the
world. (Although most of our political parties and most candidates are
now lagging with their own online use and strategies.)

While TV will still dominate, the Internet is clearing being used by the
U.S. Senate campaigns for "command and control" and to organize, inform,
and motivate their core supporters.  (I continue to see little strength
with the web in terms of persuading undecided voters, so cute web tricks
don't impress me.)  This can make a real difference in an extremely close
race, like it did for Ventura in 1998.

What campaigns are doing things better online than Coleman and Wellstone?
Let me know:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do  <- Join Here

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***