*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

Online small group techniques and youth ...

I found this digging into the links at the Dialogue to Action
Initiative web site: http://www.thataway.org/dialogue/
Specifically: http://www.thataway.org/dialogue/res/res_intro.htm

You might also find this U.S. conference of interest:
National Conference on Dialogue & Deliberation, October 4-6, 2002
http://thataway.org/conference/

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

See:
http://globalkids.org/ea911/
http://www.globalkids.org/index.shtml

From:
http://130.94.20.119/cgi-
bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000001

bjoseph
Junior Member
Member # 161
Rate Member
  posted May 08, 2002 12:44 PM
----------
I think a project we just completed here at Global Kids is a good
model of how some of what you asked can be achieved.
The web is not always an effective place to fight racism, but when
done properly it can be a remarkable tool.

We just completed a project called Everything After: a 9.11 Youth
Circle (E.A.9.11). E.A.9.11 <http://www.ea911.org>, lauded by the New
York Times as "the antithesis of stereotypical teen chat in its tenor
and structure," was the first youth-only application of the small
group dialogue technique (SGD). SGD is a technique I developed a few
years ago (patent pending) for coordinating a large number of groups
composed of a small number of people into short-term discussions on
hot button issues. Previous SGDs focused on racism and the
presidential impeachment.

E.A.9.11 coincided with the six-month anniversary of September 11th.
This two-month long project gave 350 young people aged 14 - 19 an
opportunity for sustained discussion of the ongoing emotional,
social, and political impacts of the terrorist attacks. E.A.9.11
participants came from urban, rural, and suburban areas in 48 U.S.
states, plus 19 other countries. Each youth circle was monitored by
specially trained Global Kids Leaders, who consulted on the
management and development of the project.

Unlike the "drive by" postings made by anonymous users of other chat
rooms or message boards, E.A.9.11 fostered in-depth conversations
among small groups, who, despite their diversity, came to know and
trust each other over a three-week period. Groups set their own
agendas, with over 200 discussion topics (and 1800 messages) ranging
from U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East to airport security.
Questions groups posed included: What should we do with Ground Zero?
What would you say to the terrorists? Should Hollywood tackle 9/11?
Predictably, conversations also branched out, touching on stem cell
research, capital punishment, the separation of church and state, gay
rights, education reform, and more.

So what can we in this discussion learn from E.A.9.11.

The site (funded through a generous grant from the Surdna Foundation)
was developed in partnership with PBS.org and YouthNOISE - two
competing youth sites - and supported by over two dozen other youth
and education web sites. By keeping the project short term, and
directing their youth to a "neutral" party that would be fazed out of
existence, an opportunity was created for those used to competing for
eyeballs to work together and share their resources. As a result, it
was a great success. I hope this can be a model others can learn
from.

Barry Joseph
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Global Kids www.ea911.org

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***