*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

The table of contents is below.

Download the Primer from:
http://www.ipdi.org/primer2002.html

Online Campaigning 2002: A Primer is a publication of The Institute
for Politics, Democracy & the Internet, which is funded by a grant
from The Pew Charitable Trusts and administered by The George
Washington University Graduate School of Political Management (GSPM).

The Institute for Politics, Democracy & the Internet encompasses the
Democracy Online Project, which published the first edition of this
Primer in 1999, and a second edition in 2000. This Primer is based on
Institute conferences, surveys, interviews, and field research, as
well as news reports and academic studies.

Dr. Michael Cornfield is the principal author of this Primer.
Portions of this version were drafted by Carol C. Darr, John
Griffiths, Christy McConville, Nicholas Stark, and William F.
Trezevant of the Institute. Portions of earlier versions were drafted
by Dr. David M. Anderson; Robert J. Arena, chief online political
strategist for the 1996 Dole for President campaign; and Dr. F.
Christopher Arterton. Copyright © 2002 The Institute for Politics,
Democracy & the Internet. This report may be reprinted in whole or in
part, provided that the text is not altered and credit is given to
the authors and the Institute.

The Institute is a research and advocacy initiative to promote the
development of online politics in a manner that upholds democratic
principles and values. One of the Institute’s main goals is to help
establish the Internet as a locus for trustworthy information and
civil discussion of public affairs, with an initial emphasis on
campaigns for elective office in the United States.

Table of Contents

FORWARD ii
INTRODUCTIONiii
THE IPDI BEST PRACTICES PLEDGE iv
PREPARING AN ONLINE CAMPAIGN
What Can the Internet Give My Campaign, and What Must I Do To Get
It?2
How Long a Lead Time Do I Need Before I Open My Web Site?3
What Equipment, Software, and Technical Services Do I Need?3
What Should I Put Online…And Who Should Put It There?7
What Should I Budget For My Net Operation? 7
LAUNCHING AN ONLINE CAMPAIGN
How Will People Find Me Online? 8
What About Online Advertising?9
How Can I Make My E-mails and Web Site Appealing?9
How Often Will I Need To Update Information?12
How Do I Assemble and Maintain My E-mail Lists?12
What Is Spamming, and How Do I Avoid It?14
What Can I Do With the Data I Collect?15
What Can I Do About Technical Disruptions to My Net Operation? 15
RUNNING AN ONLINE CAMPAIGN
How Do I Solicit and Collect Money Online?18
How Do I Deal With The Press Online? 19
When Should I Participate in Online Forums? 20
How Do I Deal With My Opponents Online?22
How Do I Deal With the Voters Online?23
How Do I Manage My Online Campaign Team and Network? 24
What Do I Do With My Net Operation After the Election?26
BEST PRACTICES