*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Join over 2650 subscribers, from 75 countries on DO-WIRE ***

I picked the news item up below from the new India-egov list:

Visakhapatna has a very comprehensive site with lots of features
even an chat room and citizen forum:
http://www.visakhapatnammunicipalcorporation.org

An example forum post:
http://www.visakhapatnammunicipalcorporation.org/CitizenForum1/fullmesg.asp?261
"everybody is shouting on the roof tops (including our first citizen)
that there is no water. ground water is being floundered for
construction work. why not stop this wastage by legislation till we
know we are comfortable. also rain water harvesting to be made
compulsory."

Let there be a little e-democracy everywhere.  We can decry the lack
of telecom/Internet access for the masses in developing countries (and in
our own backyards), but that doesn't mean we should wait to implement
e-democracy ideas or defer its benefits until some magical moment of
equity.  If you wait, institutional adaptation by "as is" political
forces will render this medium useless for meaningful political
reform or change.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

From:
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=17805

A town goes virtual, and reaps in real time
IAS officer Jaju took civic services online, changed the face of Vizag

Visakhapatnam, February 3: In the home port of Indian Navy's Eastern
Fleet, a facility of a different kind has been making waves.
Saukaryam the Facility has had the city on the move, perfecting home
delivery of civic services and showing the door to agonising queues
and hungry middlemen. And this gateway has taken just two years to
transform lives.

For details
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=17805

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***