*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Join over 2650 subscribers, from 75 countries on DO-WIRE ***

Date sent:              Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:39:45 -0500
Subject:                *** Deliberative Democracy eBulletin, March 2003 ***
From:                   editor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Deliberative Democracy  | Bulletin vol.2 no. 3, March 13, 2003
>

> This edition of the eBulletin is pretty packed.  Please keep the
> submissions coming and this may become a twice-monthly service.
> Thanks to everyone who contributed.
>
> d-d.net is seeks entries for its online Œthink piece¹ service on an
> on-going basis.  We¹d like to get your 2,000 word article
> introducing an idea central to the theory and practice of
> deliberative democracy.  Send your article to
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
>
> Finally, check out the updates to
> <http://deliberative-democracy.net>.  Here are a few of the new
> features:
>
> *  A Œblog service <http://deliberative-democracy.net/mt> featuring
> several interesting topics and discussion posts from leading
> thinkers and doers in the field. * Keep in touch with the governance
> of the Consortium at
> <http://deliberative-democracy.net/governance.html> * An online
> events calendar at
> <http://www.deliberative-democracy.net/cgi-local/calendar/calendar.c
> gi> * Updated information about the mission, activities, and members
> of the consortium at <http://deliberative-democracy.net/about2.html>
>
> Suggestions, comments or additions for this service?  Write to
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> ~ editor
>

> 1  |  CBC Hosts Interactive Debate: the Case for War
> --    -----------------------------------------------------
> Moments after US president George Bush delivered his recent address
> to the American people and the world, the Canadian Broadcasting
> Corporation hosted ³Ultimatum Iraq: A Time for War?²
>
> CBC newsman Peter Mansbridge moderated Thursday¹s two hour debate
> between American defense strategy expert Elliot Cohen (Director of
> the Strategic Studies program at the School for Advanced
> International Studies and member of the US Defense Policy Board) and
> former Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy.  On  hand
> were a panel of 8 experts from cities around the world.   Also, a
> group of 300 Canadians across the country were polled on the issues
> as they were debated. And Canadians had their say, via letters and
> feedback during the program, presented by Rex Murphy.  The program
> was taped before a live studio audience.
>
> For more information, and to see the results of the poll, visit:
> <http://cbc.ca/news/iraq/time/>
>

> 2  |  By the People: Shifting into Local Gear
> --    -------------------------------------------
> After its successful nation-wide launch in January, By the People
> (an initiative of MacNeil/Lehrer Productions) is bringing people
> together in communities to deliberate ³America¹s Role in the World.²
>  The most recent activity was ³By the People: A Town Hall Meeting to
> talk about American foreign policy, held in Austin, Texas on
> February 26, just days after the city Council passed a resolution
> against war with Iraq (interestingly, results of the national survey
> [...]

Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***