I don't regard myself as much of an expert, but this is NOT a Dovecot question, rather one relating to sendmail or your O/S native authentication functionality. Speaking for myself, I run NIS/yp on my mailserver and then restrict login...this supplies authentication to all users receiving mail. I might (but don't) run LDAP as the primary authentication resource on this AIX box, in which case I could then use LDAP when receiving mail. Understand: Dovecot doesn't receive mail, sendmail does.

Scott Silva wrote:
Joseph Silverman spake the following on 8/1/2007 5:24 PM:
Apologies for resending this, I am not sure it made it through the first
time..
---

Included below are my config files: sendmail.mc, dovecot.m4,
dovecot.conf, dovecot-sql.conf.  Whenever I try to send email into this
system, it rejects it with user does not exist, however, the user does
exist as far as dovecot (imap) is concerned, it is in the database.

THANKS - Yossie
It came through the first time, but nobody has answered you yet. I don't have
a good answer either, but you need to find a way for sendmail to use the same
auth database, or replicate it somehow into virtualusers system.

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources Center of Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York 12504 [EMAIL PROTECTED] voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035