On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Matt Johnston wrote:

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 07:11:47PM +0800, Matt Johnston wrote:
On this particular host, I do not have access to change the banner.
However on a different machine that I do have access to, I did change its
banner and confirmed that indeed when using the longer one, dbclient
gives the 'string too long' error and aborts.

Are there any workarounds for this?

A banner that size should work, there's a limit of 2000
characters but over that it just doesn't display the banner,
continuing as normal.  It seems like something else is going
wrong.  What SSH server is being used, and can I connect to
it via the internet (prior to authenticating)?
"telnet servername 22" will print out the version string.

Having actually tested it here now, you're right, it is
broken. A workaround is increasing MAX_STRING_LEN in
options.h (or sysoptions.h in more recent versions) from
1400 to something larger - 10000 perhaps? I'll get a better
fix in the next release.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks Matt - I have made the change and confirmed that it fixes my issue!

Thanks again for your help,

Scott