My first move here would be to utilise a registry clean/repair program
to cleanout the XP native reg.exe process with javaw.
Do you have the same trouble with other jar files?
Try the Sun javacomm 2 addon for windows which includes some serial
test programs. If they(jar files) run ok then so should DVTool.jar.
If you have clicked on DVTool.jar in its home DVTool folder and this
problem still happens, I would try the dos box (command prompt)method

cd to DVTool folder and run

java -jar DVTool.jar

 and see what you get in the verbose comment in there. The DVTool java
screen should open also.

vk4tux