At 02:10 PM 11/18/2008, you wrote:

>I don't think that connecting analogue audio systems to D-STAR is a
>backward step at all.  If anything it is a step forward, this will allow
>users of analogue systems to potentially see the benefits/features of
>D-STAR for those who have yet to be exposed to it.  Ham radio is all
>about experimenting, why not experiment with connecting D-STAR to
>analogue systems, sounds like a natural evolution to me.

Well, I'm somewhere in the middle of the road.  On one hand, I do see
real harm can be done if we allow analogue links into D-STAR
willy-nilly.  However, there are a number of scenarios where such
links are of real benefit.

1.  Interoperability - allows easier contact between emergency
networks.  For example, if analogue systems were able to connect to
the SE D_STAR Skywarn Net during hurricanes, us at the VoIP WX Net
would be able to have more liaisons to gather reports from that net.

2.  Remote areas - Some areas simply don't have the density of
amateurs to build a gateway.  Cheaper alternatives would be good -
ideally, digital with a low cost interface, but analogue simplex (or
a properly configured repeater - no hang time, etc) connected in
would at least allow _some_ communication with D-STAR users, even
though there's some facilities missing, such as callsign based
routing and squelch, and the data channel.

3.  Private networks - I have an issue where the best machine to run
a dongle on is not the best one to use the speakers and mic on, so
it's nice if I can use Speak Freely over the LAN to act as a remote
microphone.  DVTool bogs down one laptop (lack of memory) and doesn't
run well on the other (think that's a CPU issue).  Functionally, this
is much the same as a DV Dongle running DVTool (i.e. I would be using
a headset and mic on one PC, just that the Dongle is located on
another, and I'm using a client that is "lighter" in memory footprint
than DVTool).

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com