I am posting this response from a colleague who has expertise in this field.
Good luck with your research!

KV

This simple question conjures up a whole host of questions in turn.  By
"olfactory sensitivity," is it meant:

1. olfactory epithelium or VNO (vomeronasal organ)?

2. quantitative or qualitative?

3. means of measurement?

In some studies, electrical current is measured after passing scents across
the olfactory epithelum or VNO, but this will vary considerably.  In any
mammal, e.g.  Canis familiaris, this varies by breed, age, sex, and hormone
levels.  Papers have been published on quantitative levels of scent but
little on the qualitative aspects and the variation of olfactory epithelium
vs. VNO.  For example, in humans, the steroid musks (ca. 15-18 carbons) fall
on the very edge of what we can detect but can have profound physiological
effects.  Can other mammals smell higher molecular weight compounds?

More research seems to have been done with insects, as might be expected in
government-funded research to control insects by pheromones.

Because we are routinely contracted to analyze essential oils and related
products by GC/MS from private industry, I have an extensive reprint file on
mammalian odors (sometimes we get things like ambergris or civet), including
odors of dairy, fish, meat, etc.  However, I have almost nothing on the
variation of olfaction in vivo across the broader taxa, i.e., mammalian
families.

However, much work has been done on the molecular reasons for olfaction; the
most work has been done with mice and humans, but researchers have
documented the number of olfactory receptor genes in gibbons, orangutans,
rats, frogs, dolphins, etc.  Carl Zimmer had a good summary in Natural
History in June 2002: “The genes that make olfactory receptors in living
vertebrates all descended from a single ancient gene [probably from a fish
that lived ca. 520 million years ago] carried in some common ancestors.  The
evidence also shows that the evolution of olfactory genes has repeatedly
involved duplication of a gene in its entirety, and subsequent mutations
that introduce slight differences between the two copies.  As the genes
changed and multiplied, they grew into a family.”  These papers, documenting
genes and pseudogenes, would probably be the best approach to actually
estimate “sensitivity” across mammals (search “olfactory receptor genes
mammals” …Google immediately pulls up a number of papers, and you could
probably find more on MedLine, etc.).

Further confusing the question is the ability to discern individual
compounds in mixtures; this has been demonstrated with pheromones in insects
but still needs more study in mammals (similar to our ability to hear a
familiar voice at a cocktail party and tune out the rest).

A good person to seek further information is Dr. Bruce Kimball at Monell
Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia:

http://www.monell.org/faculty/people/bruce_kimball

and/or Dr. Amos B. Smith, III:

http://www.monell.org/faculty/people/smith

check out the home page of Monell:

http://www.monell.org/

Art

P.S. the first ones, in 1991, to discover genes for olfactory receptors were
Richard Axel:

http://neuroscience.columbia.edu/department/index.php?ID=27&bio=8

and Linda Buck:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2004/buck-cv.html

They won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2004!

“A few months in the laboratory can save a few hours in the library.”  Frank
Westheimer's Law

"Unvouchered plant research is about as memorable as Whistler's father." Art
Tucker's Law

_____________________

Dr. Arthur O. Tucker

Dept. of Agriculture & Natural Resources

1200 N. Dupont Highway

Delaware State University

Dover, DE 19901-2277

FAX=302-857-6455

http://herbarium.desu.edu/page17/page22/page22.html

DOV Herbarium= http://herbarium.desu.edu
DHGMA= http://www.delaware-herb.org

--
Kevina Vulinec, PhD, Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources,
Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware 19901-2277, (302) 857-6457 Fax: