Hi Jen,

We're doing something very similar in the southeast and have several herp
forums already established. We also now have a tool to clone a "species
working group" template with a Drive document requesting information needs
for the candidate assessment process and links to several spreadsheets,
projects, and other content types that can be edited as appendices with
structured information. We've been slowly making announcements to determine
which forums result in the greatest return. ECOLOG-L was up next, so please
see below. Also, please feel free to contact me about starting and
administering groups if you think this process will be useful to your
objectives. I'm definitely interested in talking about your approach too.

-Ed

*Participation Requested: At-risk Species Forums*

Many species were recently petitioned to be federally listed as Threatened
or Endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, and it is likely that
many more species will be in the near future. To assist the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service (USFWS) in determining whether the petitions are
warranted, the Wildlife Diversity Committee of the Southeastern Association
of Fish and Wildlife Agencies has established a Southeast At-Risk Species
(SEARS) Program. One component of this innovative program is the
“crowdsourcing” of knowledge and data about petitioned species.

We are establishing groups for each petitioned and candidate species on the
Griffin Groups collaboration platform (https://griffingroups.com). In each
group, a editable document contains descriptions of the species’ life
history and status, links to editable tables describing threats and
actions, a registry of research and monitoring projects, means to link or
recommend data collection protocols, as well as editable descriptions of
data repositories that contain historical observations. These crowdsourced
products, with their citations, will then be used by the USFWS for
assessing the petitions. The results will also be used for capacity and
needs assessments, evaluation of the crowdsourcing process, and determining
additional ways to improve the efficiency and comprehensiveness of the
candidate species assessment process.

To learn more about the SEARS program, visit the SEARS Data Coordination
group:
https://griffingroups.com/groups/profile/200347/sears-data-coordination

More species groups will be added over time. The list is maintained here:
https://griffingroups.com/relatedgroups/owner/200347

We seek your participation in consolidating information about these
petitioned species. Each group can serve as a nexus of communications, and
an archive of links to research and reports, survey methods and data, and
other information. If relevant forums or tools already exist, then they can
be bookmarked in the appropriate group to increase awareness and access.
Assisting with these information needs could be a part of class projects,
an efficient way to consolidate background information for new research, a
means to provide expert opinions, etc.

Subject matter experts are especially encouraged to join these groups to
collaborate on the species’ conservation. This process could include
sharing and recommending sampling protocols, sharing updates about research
and monitoring projects, integrating data repositories, discussing species'
taxonomies, developing management and monitoring plans, managing projects,
etc.

To join one or more of the species groups:

   1.

   Register as a member of Griffin Groups:
   https://griffingroups.com/register
   2.

   Validate your registration by clicking the link in the automated email
   (check your spam folder if you do not receive this email within a few
   minutes)
   3.

   Log into Griffin Groups: https://griffingroups.com/login
   4.

   Explore the list of species groups:
   https://griffingroups.com/relatedgroups/owner/200347
   5.

   Click on a group name and then the “Join group” or “Request membership”
   button under its title.

A welcome message is sent after joining any of the species groups. That
email contains instructions about Griffin Groups’ collaboration tools and
suggestions for their use.

Thank you for your participation,

Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies’ Wildlife Diversity
Committee

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Wildlife Management Institute

Connecting Conservation

For questions, please contact:

Dr. Ed Laurent - Connecting Conservation: edlaurent@connectingconservation

Additional contacts for SEARS program questions:

Becky Gwynn - VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries:
becky.gw...@dgif.virginia.gov

Mike Harris - US Fish and Wildlife Service: michael_har...@fws.gov

Dr. Jon Gassett - Wildlife Management Institute: jgass...@wildlifemgt.org