<snip> Which document is typically used to identify which lines of an
order will be
filled (assume fill or kill scenario - no backorders)?

The 856 (ASN) or the 855 (PO Ack)?

Does the PO Ack contain estimated shipment time?  Or do you typically
have
to wait for ASN for that?

Should I assume that I will have to use the 204 (Carrier booking)
document
to tie the shipment on the ASN back to the order number or have you seen
instances where the 856 contains order # references?  Assuming all lines
of
an order are on the same shipment</snip>

The 855 PO Ack is best suited for modifications - and can be used to
send the estimated delivery date - although I don't know how common that
is.  All orders that I send out have a requested delivery date and I get
an Item level ACK line that notes if there is a date change. I am also
pretty much on a fill or kill - but we do accept price and date changes
- no backorders or substitutions allowed.

The 856 ASN is used to notify that the product has been shipped - and
ASNs should tell you the order information - at least the PO and
possibly the PO line number.   There should be no need to use the 204 to
tie the 856 to the order

Kelly Babcock