From: Barr James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 3:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Purchase Order Line number on an 810 Invoice Transaction

Debbie,

This has been a MAJOR point of contention here.  While it may be considered
"normal" to retain and pass back the PO line number, we have found that our
suppliers have LOTS of problems complying to it.  The "800 pound gorilla"
and the "you are the customer, so you call the shots" may be true in many
cases, but in the real world, it's not always that simple.  There are
several exception cases (which sometimes are more the rule than the
exception) where the PO line coming in is just plain wrong.  (And I'm not
talking little, "mom & pop" suppliers, either.)

Our interface to Oracle A/P REQUIRES the PO line number as a major component
of the matching process.  Without it, we simply CANNOT match properly.  If
the PO line number is wrong, (and believe me, there are VALID reasons why
this can occur) it can post to the improper line causing all kinds of
problems.

We are currently programming a "pre-processor" interface that takes the EDI
data, looks up the PO in the Purchasing files, determines the proper PO line
number based on the part number (and a host of other criteria), and then
passes the proper data (ie: correct PO line number) to the Oracle interface.
The Oracle Interface as written works well, and it DOES work flawlessly AS
LONG AS YOU HAVE THE PROPER PO LINE NUMBERS.  ANY exceptions can cause
headaches, and we've had enough headaches to warrant a customization.

In a perfect world, yes, it would be "normal" but the reality is you may
need to find an additional way to match should the PO be invalid.

-Jim Barr

the system manager ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

www.mimesweeper.com