<Assuming I have the expertise and the knowledge to create a secure Internet
solution from scratch for a client, who is going to maintain it, upgrade it,
and enhance it as security & transfer standards change and bugs are
discovered in the standards upon which the solution was built?>

With your ample experience, Mr. Divoky, certainly you know as well as the
rest of us that no solution escapes these needs that you mention.

Consider that when you manage your own source code:
 - Your enterprise is not limited to whatever a 3rd party executable is
capable of (or incapable of...)
 - You don't suffer forced upgrades. ("We're not supporting that version
anymore...")
 - Your capability to debug a situation is increased.
 - Your flexability is not limited to the software vendor's whim.
 - Support is not limited to when they can service you.
 - You don't have to spend efforts proving to product support that there IS
a problem on their part that they need to address
 - You don't pay for what you're not using.
 - You don't pay incrementally for what you are using.

In my opinion, the development of customized software solutions can provide
competetive advantage and if managed properly, a cost savings.  But I
concede that the proper solution depends on the initial requirements.

Anthony Beecher