Michael,

I have two suggestions:

1.    If it's in your contract with them to conduct business using EDI, and
there is no extra charge mentioned by them for using EDI, them I would wave
the contract in their face and refuse to pay extra for EDI.

2.    If they refuse to transact business via EDI, per their contract, they
they may have violated their contract with you. In this case, I'd look for
another supplier.

I don't think there are any standards or guidelines, only practices, and
they vary all over the place.

In my view, it's a business decision.  How much will you pay to do business
with them, and how much will they pay to do business with you?

Let them know that you're reviewing their contract and looking for another
supplier.  That will answer the question.

This is not legal advice.

Good luck,

Dave Taylor
Sysmark Information Systems, Inc.