In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Rich Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 18:45:52 GMT, Steve Leibel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eamon) wrote:
> >
> > > (c) Reduced motor co-ordination, e.g. when driving a car
> > >

> > Numerous studies have shown that marijuana actually improves driving
> > ability.  It makes people more attentive and less aggressive.  You could
> > look it up.
>
> An intoxicant does *that*?
>
> I think I recall in the literature, that people getting
> stoned, on whatever, occasionally  *think*  that
> their reaction time or sense of humor or other
> performance is getting better.
>
> Improving your driving by getting mildly stoned
> (omitting the episodes of hallucinating)
> seems unlikely enough, to me,
> that  *I*  think the burden of proof is the stranger named Steve.

Hallucinating?  On pot?  What are YOU smokin'?  Pot doesn't cause
hallucinations -- although a lot of anti-drug hysteria certainly does.

A cursory web search turned up these links among many others to support
my statement.  Naturally this subject is controversial and there are
lots of conflicting studies.  The consensus is that at worst pot causes
minor driving impairment similar to many prescription medications.  At
least one study showed that pot users had FEWER fatal crashes than non
users!

And "stranger named Steve?"  I've been on this newsgroup since 1995.
Not as famous as James Harris, maybe, but certainly no stranger.

This is a small sample of what came up when I entered "marijuana
driving" into Google.  Read and learn.

http://www.norml.org/canorml/myths/myth1.shtml

http://www.reconsider.org/issues/marijuana/driving.htm

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread1016.shtml

http://www.marijuana-hemp.com/cin/facts/drivehi.shtml  "When the data
were analyzed, cannabis consumers actually showed a lower likelihood of
being involved in a fatal crash than that of a drug-free control group,
though the difference was not judged to be statistically significant."

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Prohibition/Drug%20Information/Marijuana/Drivin
g/Driving

http://www.taima.org/en/driving.htm  "It was of some interest that
cannabis tended to show a negative effect on relative risk when other
drug groups showed an increase."

http://www.norml.org.nz/norml/Marijuana/Driving.htm#abc981014

Steve L