wayne burdick wrote:

> Should we offer a small discount on complex products if a potential
> customer reads the entire manual and passes a test first?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

There's plenty of things you can do with the K3 that are out of the
ordinary, and you can stumble into them by accident.

I think a "validator" addition to the K3 Utility would be nice.

It could spot potential misconfigurations and provide a narrative-like
description.

The K3 Utility already has a configuration save/restore utility.  A new
"Validator" tab could read the same states using the CAT commands, and
display something like this:

    * You cannot transmit because TEST mode is enabled.
    To disable TEST mode, press and hold TEST.

    * You have selected the separate RX ANT jack on bands 160 and 20m.
    While it is common to use a separate RX antenna on low bands, it
    is likely you have selected it by accident on 20m, which is the
    current band your K3 is set to.  To disable the RX antenna on a
    band and antenna selection, select the band and ANT1 or
    ANT2 (with ANT) and press RX ANT.

    * DIGOUT1 is enabled on 40m ANT2 and you have a KPA500 connected
      via the ACC able.
    DIGOUT1 is a pin on the 15-pin ACC cable.  This will disable the
    KPA500 on 40m/ANT2.  To change this setting, select 40M and ANT2
    and hold CONFIG and change the DIGOUT 1 setting.

    * Filter 5 Center Frequency Offset is Zero
    Filter is is an Elecraft 200Hz filter and it has a non-zero
    Frequency offset.  While this is possible, it is more likely that
    you have not yet set the frequency offset.  Consult the package
    that your filter came in and look for the offset frequency.
    Select Filter 5 with XFIL and then hold CONFIG and select FL5
    FREQ and set it to the value specified.

    * XIT is enabled and non-zero
    XIT will cause your transmit frequency to differe from the VFO
    dial frequency by the amount shown in the VFO B display when you
    rotate the RIT/XIT knob.  You will see the green RIG/XIT led is
    lit, as well as the yellow + or - LED.  To disable XIT, tap the
    XIT button.

    * SPKR+PH is NO
    SPKR+PH is set to NO, which disables the K3 speaker.  If you have
    no audio, but your headphones work, hold CONFIG and navigate to
    SPKR+PH and use the VFO knob to set the value to YES.

Leigh/WA5ZNU