Sam,

You are doing it right.

DATA A mode is like SSB with the following exceptions:
1) TX EQ is disabled in DATA A mode
2) Audio compression is disabled in DATA A mode.
3) one can set the audio input to LINE IN for DATA A mode - no need to change it from MIC audio when using data modes.

Either of those conditions may be present in SSB mode, and the first 2 will distort a data mode signal. So the answer is to use DATA A mode instead of SSB so you do not have to manually turn off those 2 conditions when running data modes in SSB mode. Unfortunately, some data mode software does not include recognition of the K3/KX3 DATA A mode and will force the rig to SSB mode. Be watchful of that condition and respond accordingly.

The K3 offers a seamless solution to the use of both SSB and Data modes and is beneficial as long as you do not have to "fight" with the data mode software application to get that to happen.

73,
Don W3FPR