John,
You can use an UPS for a protracted period. My whole shack is buffered on the one cheap UPS I bought at Staples. I suspect that the size of the battery will only allow for about 10-15 minutes of operating after I lose power. But, it's on continuously.

From your description of your situation I would guess there are just a few possibilities, arcing from a power line that is within radio line of sight to your antenna, someone may have an electric fence to control animals, a compressor/air handler controler. or one of your neighbors is doing some arc welding. You can eliminate atmospheric noise if it is steady and doesn't vary like lightning crashes; this time of the year there is a lot of atmospheric noise, but it bounces around in amplitude.

If you have a 2 meter rig that can tune down in the aircraft frequencies, tune it to a dead spot between 113-136 MHz. You will be in AM mode. Turn off the squelch and ride around and see if you can find the source of some noise. It could be a few miles away from your antenna depending on how high your antenna is.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

------ Original Message ------
From: "John Stengrevics" <jstengrev...@comcast.net>
To: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 7/11/2016 3:38:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Uninterruptible Power Supply for K3S

Thanks to all for the comments.

Not being familiar with these things, I thought the UPS could be use for a protracted period of time.

Jim - I’ve been through the exercise of turning off every breaker in the house except the one that supplies power to the shack. I then unplugged everything in the shack except the K3S and rotor control box and turned off the lights. I still had the noise.

Bonding didn’t do anything - I only have the K3S, speaker and a rotor control box.

I’ve got ferrites out the gazoo!

I live in an area with 2-acre zoning and no commercial establishment wishing a couple of miles.

So, I’m at a loss.  Maybe atmospheric noise?

John
WA1EAZ