I also live on an island and we too have several outages a year (which can last from seconds to days). Most are caused by branches blown down by wind, hitting and breaking the power lines (it is slowly getting better as Puget Sound Energy has proactively been trimming trees before they break). I have four UPS devices in various parts of my house. The shack and my home computers and DVRs are connected to 1000VA TrippLite UPSs I bought at Costco several years ago and these also protect against surges. I don't try to operate an amp when the power goes out, but have run 100 watt radios barefoot for several minutes. The batteries in my systems probably need replacing and when I do that I will try to silence the darn beep that they make (I can tell when there is an outage without hearing that noise). I will also look into setting up a 12V system like you described.

73,
Bob, N7XY