I wrote the KXB3080 manual for Elecraft as well as the original assembly
procedures for the KX1 itself. I'd like to make a couple of observations
about the tools recommended in the KXB3080 option manual and the upgrade
process.

Out of a desire for accuracy, while writing the procedures for a manual I
use the tools listed in the manual, and only those tools. If I have trouble
with them, I try to work out an easier build procedure or recommend
different tools. I try to imagine those tools in the hands of the average
builder. I get good input from the Field Testers as well. The procedures are
not significantly different from any board work. The KX1 is just a little
smaller and denser than most of the Elecraft kits, so you need to be a
little more careful and take your time.

In the case of the KXB3080, I did probably 2-1/2 KXB3080
installations/de-installations on poor ol' KX1 S/N 0004 while documenting
the procedures. After all that "abuse" those are photos of poor ol' 0004's
circuit boards in the KXB3080 manual. All of the soldering was done with a
Hakko 936 soldering station and all of the desoldering was done with aid of
a common spring-loaded pump desolderer as described in the recommended tools
list.

That was a spring-loaded desoldering pump, not a squeeze bulb or braid. I'm
not saying that one might not do the job with a bulb or braid, but Wayne was
quite clear and I agree that the safest route is to use a good spring-loaded
desoldering pump.

First you remove the part. Clipping leads, then clearing holes is always the
safest way although, with care, many two-leaded parts can be removed intact.
Obey the warnings about pulling on the lead before the solder is completely
melted. You *can* pull the whole plated hole assembly out of the board. That
can happen not just because you didn't get the solder fully melted. If,
during the original assembly, you bent the leads over the edge of the solder
pad to hold the part in place on the PCB, you may find yourself applying too
much pressure on the pad tugging on the part trying to 'un-bend' the lead
and pull it from the hole while keeping the solder molten. As long as heat
is applied to the pad it is de-bonding itself from the circuit board.

You do not need to save any parts that you remove from your KX1 while
installing the KXB3080. Only one part in the KX1 is removed and
re-installed. You  move it from one side of the KX1 circuit board to the
other. The KXB3080 kit includes a replacement for that part so you can clip
the leads off the original.

Once a part is off the board it's time to clear the hole. Now's when having
both hands free is important if you're using a desoldering pump with your
regular iron. It is easy to clamp the KX1 circuit board in many kinds of
vices. Lacking a vise, a couple of small "bean bags" or a couple of books
are great for propping up a board on edge when two free hands are needed.
Don't forget to follow ESD precautions while handling the loose boards.

It's also important to set up your work space so your arms are supported.
It's very hard to work smoothly and accurately with your arms "floating" and
all to easy to bump something with the iron.

Use a 700F soldering temperature and wet the tip of the iron before touching
it to the pad. Wetting the tip is important. Heat transfer is slow from a
'dry' soldering iron tip! Slow heat transfer increases the likelihood of
finding a pcb solder pad stuck to the tip of your iron when you take the
iron away. The more you 'cook' the pad, the more you loosen its bond to the
PCB.

Cock and position the pump over the pad on one side of the board, then touch
the soldering iron to the other side of the board to melt the solder. Of
course, choose the side of the board for your hot iron where you have the
least chance of bumping into other parts and keep your eye on what you are
doing with the iron. If the pump tip slips, it won't hurt anything. Not so
with the hot iron. As soon as the solder melts, often no more than 1 second
after touching the tip to the pad, press the pump trigger and "whack!" you
have a clean-as-new hole in the solder pad. The time you have the iron on
the pad is much shorter if you've clipped the component leads because
there's no component there to soak up the heat. Still, a pad attached to the
ground plane may take a little longer. Don't bother to remove the soldering
iron tip before you press the pump trigger. Do them together or hit the
trigger then remove the iron if that's easier. As you remove the iron, do
*not* look at the pad. Watch where you're waving that hot iron tip until
it's safely away from the circuit board <G>.

Suppose you do pull your iron off of the pad and see the little "donut" of a
pad stuck to it? If that's all that's there, you're rig is fine. It's a
warning that you're using too much heat or, most likely, taking too much
time. The plated-through section of the hole and the pad on the other side
that connects to a circuit trace are still intact. There is no performance
degradation whatsoever in losing the little donut on the opposite side
providing it wasn't torn loose from the ground plane or a trace there. It
will be barely visible after you install the new part. That solder pad
represents damage, though. If it happens to you, take it as a serious
warning that you're cooking the pads too much. The whole pad has been heated
long enough to de-bond from the pcb itself. Be extra careful installing the
new leads there.

To me, the biggest concern about the soldering needed to install the KXB3080
is accidentally touching heat-sensitive parts that will melt in an instant
if you bump them with a hot iron: pots and pot shafts, trimmer caps, relays
and the like. I use a 2 mm spade tip on my iron. It's just about the
biggest, fattest thing I'd ever want to use around the KX1 board!

A power vacuum desolderer like the Hakko can be a wonderful investment and
good addition to the bench. Like any tool, it requires the user understand
its limitations and applications. It does greatly eliminate the need for
two-handed desoldering. I'm aware that one can use a separate desoldering
pump and iron on one side of the board. It works, but it usually takes more
heat and more time. Because of that, it's a good way to debond pads.

The Hakko 808 makes the job easier, for a price. Just be careful, very
careful, what you touch with it. I've used similar tools. I've thought about
getting one myself, but since we don't have it on the recommend tools
list...

Ron AC7AC