G’day

I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed that the new KPA 1500 has a
connector on its rear panel labelled ‘TX Sample’.  Reading the Elecraft FAQ on
the KPA 1500, it says that this “provides a low level KPA 1500 TX RF signal for
sampling use by transceivers that support closed-loop pre-distortion
techniques, e.g. Pure Signal. This low-level signal is taken directly from the
amplifier’s directional coupler.”

For those on this reflector who are not familiar with ‘Pure Signal’, it is the
name given to “the theory and implementation of the clean transmission logic
developed by the OpenHPSDR team and implemented in PowerSDR [softwar as used
with the ANAN radios” (see SDR-Radio.com -
http://sdr-radio.com/Version-3/Transmit/Pure-Signal).

Using pre-distortion, Pure Signal means that transmit IM3 can be improved
significantly – up to 20dB from memory.

Now Pure Signal is an SDR technique and many amateurs have been wondering when
Elecraft is going to finally take a leap beyond the KX3 into digital down
conversion/up conversion SDR or even the latest Direct Fourier Conversion SDR?

Looks to me perhaps that the leap is not far off – unless Elecraft are seeing a
big market for ANAN SDR owners buying the KPA 1500 (which, incidentally looks
fabulous)?   ;-)

What say you, Wayne N6KR?

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ