Having followed this thread, I can heartily endorse Elecraft's method of
idiot-proofing K3 power control when used with the KPA500.  I have tuned
each band for maximum output (except 200W on 30 meters per regulations).
When the amp is in standby and I key the K3, I see the output level on
the amp's display.  When switching to operate, I get the prescribed
amplifier output.  A momentary touch of the K3 PWR knob shows the drive
level (17 - 25 watts, band-dependent).  Technology has finally found a
way to minimize blown amps during the wee hours of a contest!

73 de Ed