Ken,K0PP wrote:

Copper-clad steel wire (Copperweld)...Proper insulators
have lead-lined holes to "cushion" the wire.

A couple of things to keep in mind ... RF flows
on/near the surface of a conductor, and the correct
length of an antenna made from insulated wire will
be slightly different than the formula-calculated length.

---------------------

Good points, Ken although lead-lined insulators are going to be hard to come
by soon, Hi!

Also, the formulas are, at best, approximations. Not only can insulation
affect the length, but so does the earth itself (unless it's many
wavelengths away) buildings, trees, support poles, etc.

The popular formula for 1/2 wave, 468/f(MHz) is only an approximation trying
to account for typical end loading caused by capacitance between the ends
and support wires through the insulators. A 1/2 wave in "free space" is
closer to 492/f(MHz).

The bad news is that unless one has non-metallic supports a few hundred feet
high and in the clear, the formulas are only going to be an approximation of
the right length to be self-resonant.

The good news is that it's not important to be self-resonant. The biggest
problem with a non-resonant antenna has little to do with the antenna
itself. The problem is mostly the rig. Our modern rigs (including the
Elecraft rigs) have fixed-tuned output networks. They only work efficiently
into a load close to 50 ohms, non reactive, where the old rigs with tuning
controls that had to be adjusted as one moved around in frequency worked
very efficiently into a large range of impedances. Unfortunately, those
tunable output circuits we used in years past don't provide the amount of
harmonic rejection now required of our rigs, so you aren't likely to find
any new designs using them above QRP levels.

So the problem is to match the antenna to the fixed-tuned output network in
our rig. Finding the magic length of an antenna is one way, but it's seldom
good for much more than one band, and often not even for a whole band. So we
use an antenna tuner to match the antenna to the rig. Now we don't care so
much about whether we have exactly the right length radiator. Until the SWR
gets up fairly high where feeder losses become a concern, it's a non-issue.
And the ATU suppresses harmonics and other spurs even more.

Ron AC7AC