Peter, Wayne

To add to the discussion of TX spurious signals:

I did perform extensive (spectrum) measurements on the TX spectrum at 28MHz
and found that (despite the class A / High IMD behavior of the TX buffer
Amp) some in band signals are generated in this amplifier.

Example:

TX = 29.0 MHz
Spurious found (only -40 to -50 dBc!): 28.51 MHz
Generated by: 2 * VCO - 4 * BFO = (2 * 24.085 - 4 *
4.915)

Spurious level is affected by the TX-ALC voltage and is worst at higher TX
power output. Also verified that this mixing takes place in the TX-buffer
and not in the (ne601) mixer itself and is due to the broadband design of
this TX-buffer (which is of course difficult to circumvent in this
architecture chosen). Placing an extra set of BPF's just after the TX-mixer
would solve the issue, but is not achievable in the present board layout. Of
course this would not improve the SSB/audio IMD as Wayne pointed out.

Because I use the K2 as driver of a 1KW+ VHF amplifier I have been very keen
in getting spurious signals as low as possible. Only way I could get the
spurious further down (60/70dBc) is to add an extra ERA9 amplifier (+10 dB
gain) just before the transverter IF output but within the TX-ALC loop. In
such a way making sure the signal level out of the TX-mixer and subsequent
TX-buffer amplifier are as low as possible.

Cheers,

Carel,pc5m