I too had David's (k3tue) problem tuning for a peak on 20M and 40M after completing the base kit. When I tuned the receiver at the end of Part II, I connected directly to my longwire and was able to easily peak each band. For the final tune, I plugged in my longwire via a 4:1 balun. I went back and fourth too many times trying to peak both bands. Just had a devil of a time and finally got it the best I could and left it. Had the feeling that something wasn't right and was afraid I had screwed up something in the Part III construction.

A couple of days later I took the rig outside to give it a try from the patio with just a 28 ft wire. Decided to try tuning it again and both bands peaked right up. Turned out I had been pretty close.

Decided to get the XG2 to use when I install the 3080. It just came in the mail so I have a little build to look forward to. I have the 3080 all built, just have to work up the nerve to try installing the thing in my functioning KX1. Think I'll go back and check the toroids again.

Paul, kd2mx