David Yarnes wrote:
Well, maybe he did mean 50 KW, but then again there are (were) stations like good ole' XERF, Del Rio, Texas! That station (and a bunch of others from south of the border, ran a heck of a lot more than 50 KW.

I used to listen to XERF, XEG, and several other "south of the border" megawatt stations from my childhood home in Rhode Island. In winter I could hear them almost any time except for a few hours around noon.

... There used to be lots of them.

There still are many. AC6V has compiled a list of stations that run 50KW at night (as well as during the day) to help those seeking "heard all states" status. Check the following URLs for details:

   http://www.ac6v.com/clearam.htm#50
   http://www.ac6v.com/clearam.htm#USA

Happy BCB DXing,

Gus Hansen