Phil,

A current balun *is* a choke, not a transformer. That is true for both the 1:1 and 4:1 baluns. OTOH, a voltage balun is a transformer, but I am not sure why anyone would want to use one except for special applications.

73,
Don W3FPR

Phil & Debbie Salas wrote:

The figure referred to is using the material as part of an RFI suppression choke where you want attenuation at RF frequencies. I think you'll find that when the Type 61 material is used as a transformer, it will have very low loss if designed properly. See Sevick's book on baluns and ununs. But I think that even a well-designed transformer will have maybe 1-2% loss. At 100 watts, that is 1-2 watts which will cause the transformer to heat up. Just dissipate 1-watt in a resistor with your DC power supply and feel the heat.