After extensive experiments with tx audio settings in pursuit of "perfect
audio" for my purposes - dxing on 80m - I came to the conclusion that for my
voice with the HC-4, an offset of -0.07 with the 2.8 kHz filter was about
right.

However I would not say that I "had" to do this to make the audio "decent".
It was very decent, excellent even, without offset and with appropriate
settings of mic gain, compression and equaliser but to my ears, rightly or
wrongly, it sounded slightly better *for my purposes* with the offset.

In the same way I tried both the 2.7 kHz and the 2.8 kHz filters after
building my K3 in January 2008 and to my ears the tx audio from the 2.8 kHz
sounded slightly better for what I wanted than from the 2.7 kHz.

Others may have a different view. Opinions about tx audio are very
subjective and also have to be taken in usage context. I am looking for
audio that I think will be heard on the other side of the planet on 80m when
my signal is at or below the noise level, but that might not be right for
another band or for another purpose. My method of experimenting is to make
recordings on my PC from another receiver, but of course the characteristics
of the other rx will not necessarily match those of the rig of the station I
am trying to work, and the recording process can make subtle changes too. So
it's a rather inexact science providing hours of harmless fun that almost
keeps me out of mischief ;-)

73 to all

Geoff
G3UCK