The K3 keypad is extremely strong and much hardier than the softer
keypads on HTs etc. We specifically used a hardened top covering over
the lettering to protect it. These keypads will probably outlast the
rest of the radio. The keypads on our demo radios, which see a -lot- of
abuse and use, still look new.

The power pole connectors are very rugged. They have been chosen as the
standard for emergency usage here in the states for that very reason.
That's why they have been wildly popular on product offerings from West
Mountain Radio and many others. We've been using them since we
introduced the 100W K2, and on out XV series transverters, for almost 9
years now with great feedback.

Lastly, the K3 will be an evolving radio for its complete lifetime. We
have stable firmware in the radio, but we plan to add new features that
make sense on a regular basis to improve the radio. That's why we made
it an internally s/w defined architecture with easy firmware
download-ability. To be honest, the few features mentioned in our manual
that are not in the rig crept into the documentation inadvertently and
we missed it. I personally apologize for the resulting confusion. They
were actually not part of the original planned first release feature set
and were included in the docs incorrectly. That said, the few features
in this category -are- being actively worked on, especially sync AM,
which Lyle is close to releasing.

Stay tuned!  We're working very hard in Aptos.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
------

rfenab...@gmail.com wrote:
> (Snip)
>
> It remains to be seen how well the K3's rubber buttons hold up over the
> years, or whether the power pole connectors break with extensive mobile
> or portable use
> (End snip)
>
> I have wondered his myself. Remember when cell phones had similar
> buttons...the letters and numbers wore off.
>
> If I had a choice of only one thing I could change then I think this might
> well make the list to choose from.
>
> I like the weight and feel of the K3 and will wait and see what the P3 comes
> out at.
>
> I will hold off ordering a P3 until the FW is better developed after the K3
> experience.
>
> 73's
> Gary. VK4WT/P

_..._