Fully agree with your comments Don,

And I want to take the opportunity to encourage every Ham to pay more attention
to protect our lovely K's and all ellectronic devices in the house.  I've seen
so many locations who are facing huge lightings storms and this does not happen
only to others, I'm a survival !
I do not want to start a thread beacause it is not directly related but I will
be happy to share my experience with those who are interesed.

To have some ideas what it is done today on lightning protection, please have a
look at:
http://www.indelec.com/foudre/Comprendre_la_foudre/Comprendre_la_foudre.aspx
I have no interest at all in this company but I have always pay very much
attention to be well protected in the various locations I was playing Ham
specially after an lightning hit when in France (F5LTB)
When in 2003,  I arrived in Democratic Republic of Congo (9Q1TB), where
lightning protection is mandatory I was looking to the companies who can
provide such service and discover that one has a different and a technically
interesting approach. I have equipped my house and during the 5 years I stayed
in Kinshasa and never face any problem even the head of the lightning device up
to my antenna system on  my metallic roof has been hitted many times by direct
lightings, my younger son can testify, the noise amplified by the metallic roof
was really impressive, but none of the electric/electronic devices has been
destroyed.
The skyscraper where I'm living in UAE is already lightning protection equipped
and apart of the strong lightnings during the "colder" season it is very useful
 because we are facing time to time sand storms who induce an important amount
of static.
Have a good day
Bst 73's
Philippe A65BI
K3#3616

>>> Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> 05-07-2010 5:15 >>>
Jim,

I too would place lightning damage into the "Acts of Nature" category
and not a warranty consideration.  A warranty covers premature component
failures and failure to perform to specification, which is different IMHO.
For a comparison example, a new automobile has a warranty period, but if
a tree falls on it and it is damaged, would that be a warranty repair? -
I think not - that is why we have insurance coverage for those kind of
catastrophic events.

73,
Don W3FPR