Heat is the obvious source of the problem. But what causes the heat, how hot
does the ferrite get, and what is the rate of change of temperature?

Clearly, permanent magnetization of the ferrite is simply irrelevant here,
since by definition, the soft ferrites used to make beads and cores cannot be
permanently magnetized. The flip side of that is that hard ferrites (which CAN
be permanently magnetized, and are used to make magnets) are useless for making
ferrite beads and cores.

Self heating due to an imposed alternating magnetic field will continue to
generate heat until the material's Curie point is reached. At this point, the
ferrite looses its magnetic properties, and no further heat is generated due to
hysteresis losses. But with many ferrites, the Curie point is over 200°C. It
seems possible that this temperature level could cause cracking, IF the rate of
change of temperature was extreme.

Temperature alone will not cause either cracking, or changes in material
properties. After all, ferrites are made by a firing process that is FAR hotter
than a mere few hundred degrees! But in the manufacturing process, temperature
is ramped up and down slowly, to eliminate any possibility of thermal shock.

So you are probably right that observed effects are due to the ferrite becoming
cracked. The reason for cracking cannot be due to temperature by itself, but
rather to an extreme rate of change of temperature. Excess energy applied too
fast, for the volume of ferrite used, is the cause of the excessive rate of
change of temperature.

Bob Wilson
TIR Systems Ltd.
Vancouver.