Stating the proven principles of accurate thermal analysis is hardly
"muddling the knowledge pool".

No one has suggested that increased resistance leads to increasing heat
generation in an infinite spiral as you mention. This would obviously be
nonsense, and is not predicted by theory or observed in practice.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, increased resistance DOES lead to
increased heat generation, which DOES in turn cause further resistance
increase ...but this does not spiral on to infinity for the very reason
that the system is nonlinear. Thermal issues ARE highly nonlinear. What
DOES happen is that a new higher temperature plateau is reached where
(as I wrote in my original post on this subject):

"The final temperature that the "system" stabilizes at, is reached when
the logarithmically increasing (i.e. also very non-linear) heat transfer
to the environment caused by increasing temperature, balances increased
heat being generated."

The bottom line is that heat transfer issues are unavoidably complex and
require iterative solutions for accurate answers. That is why thermal
analysis software is so hideously expensive, and requires such long
times and high computer "horsepower" to converge on an accurate
solution. While it may be possible to arrive at an approximate solution,
for a limited set of parameters under a narrow subset of conditions by
using rule-of-thumb simplification, it doesn't change the fact that an
accurate solution is unavoidably far more complicated than you are
presenting, and such a simplification must be understood to be just
that: a simplification.

Bob Wilson
TIR Systems Ltd.
Vancouver.