I have a general question regarding power factor limits relating to the
design of off-line switchmode power supplies.

We will be starting the design of a relatively simple, off-line
switchmode power supply that will be used to power an LED Luminaire (for
lighting up the outside of buildings). A power supply will be used to
drive each of the 3 colours independently (for dynamic colour changing).
It will be designed for universal 120/230 Volt input, with an adjustable
20 to 28 Volt DC output. Power output will be 40 Watts maximum. As
mentioned, 3 of these power supplies will be used in each Luminaire.

My question is: what (if any) power factor requirements are we required
to meet, both for North America and for the EU. My first thought was
that there are no specific power factor requirements since ordinary
computer power supplies have no PFC correction whatsoever (at least not
the ones normally available here in North America). But I recall a year
or two ago, a conversation with Jim Eichner (one of the inhabitants of
this group) where he mentioned there were impending EU power factor
requirements.

Can anyone shed any light on what PF requirements exist at this power
level?

Bob Wilson
TIR Systems Ltd.
Vancouver.