Gary & Elliott:

Back around 1978, before we had learned a lot of hard lessons about what
constitutes a good OATS, I tried using a 100' by 30' by 15' high tent (sort
of like a canvas Quonset hut) as a cover on an asphalt pad and hardware
cloth proto-OATS. Although the concept was good, I found that rain and dust
and pollution created patchy "regions" of slightly reflective, not quite
free-space. (Maybe a different membrane material would have worked better
than the rubberized canvas I used. A windstorm finally ended my agony.)

But if you wanted this tent to be a shield, then I would think that any
decent shield (like a metalized plastic film) would be a nasty reflector. If
all you wanted was shielding, then OK, it would be like a reverberant
chamber minus the paddles. But the inside reflections would be catastrophic
if you wanted an equivalent to an OATS. Any method I can think of to reduce
the internal reflections would seriously bulk up the mass and/or weight of
the tent membrane.

Still, you want to keep an open mind. If somebody can show you a tent
structure that yields a 10-meter OATS volume, then all they have to do is
demonstrate the OATS field uniformity and also show a reduction (60 dB would
be nice) of external signals from the plentiful FM & TV & other emitters.
And then all would be fine, until the wind kicks up.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA